Stoner Cricket Club

Founded 1934
  Match Reports for 2002 


2002 Reports

The following fixtures took place, and the reports are below. To jump straight to a particular report click on the opposition's name in the list below.





Start Time


June 22nd





July 22nd

Wooburn Narks.




July 23rd

M. Adams XI




July 24th





July 25th

Carpe Diem




July 26th





July 28th





Champagne Moment/Low Alcohol Lager Moment

Full description of all the nominations and the winners follows the reports - Click HERE to jump straight to it.


Stoner v Bedales

Saturday June 22nd, 2002

I am afraid that at present I have no match report for this game. I know that it was a 30 over game and Stoner made something in the region of 130-140 with no major contributions. The school got the runs fairly comfortably, with Harry Grey making an unbeaten half century and won by about 5 wickets.

If anyone can give me a more detailed report and/or scores then please feel free to send one in!

Stoner v Wooburn Narkovians

Monday July 22nd, 2002

Wooburn won toss

Wooburn 181-8 declared

Stoner 175-9


Having managed to scrape together 11 players for this match Stoner were immediately handicapped by the loss of Ben Seddon to attend a funeral for the first hour and a half of the match. However in compensation they were given a huge boost for the week when Will Mclaren-Clarke, recruited by Ben to play for the whole week, opened the bowling and immediately proved to be an impressive left arm over bowler, starting with three maidens and beating the bat a number of times. At the other end, in Ben's absence, Stoner resorted to one of their favourite tactics of recent years, forced on them more often by necessity than great tactical acumen, and opened the bowling with the spin of Ed Elllis. Ed suffered from the ability of Wooburn's midget opening batsman Alan Cuthbert to pull anything marginally short of a length, and Cuthbert raced to 19 out of an opening partnership of 19 before being bowled by Mclaren-Clarke. Ed Ellis was soon in on the act as well, as Olly Green swooped like a falling oak to take a catch at mid-wicket, and with the number three pulling one to square leg and Sam Roberts getting two cheap wickets with his prodigiously turning leg breaks Wooburn were rapidly reduced to 60-5.  

Unfortunately for Stoner this brought in the rather more experienced Geoff Morris, who today claims that he took his total of runs on this ground to over 400 before being dismissed for the first time. His love of the ground is partly explained by the fact that unlike his younger team mates he doesn't get terribly over-excited at the sight of the ball descending towards him with snow on it after being tossed up in the air by the likes of Roberts and Jones, but plays each ball sensibly on its merits, hitting mostly on the ground when he does hit hard. He was accompanied by his captain Phil Day and, after Day had been stumped trying to give Derek Roberts the charge and running underneath the ball, by the inappropriately named Dave Small. Morris scored heavily towards the end, particularly off the unfortunate Ben Seddon, who must have wished he'd stayed on at Steep Church to watch the next funeral/wedding/baptism when contemplating his bowling figures of 0-36 in 20 balls. Ed Ellis did return to get Small and lead the Stoner figures with 3-37 in 12 overs, but it was only thanks to suicidal running that Morris failed to make his century, run out for 96 in a bid to keep the strike and bring up his 100 as soon as possible. His departure brought about a declaration as quickly as his century would have done, but without the added benefit of a jug at the Harrow, with the total at 181-8. 

With plenty of batting and a good wicket this was a very fair target, and Stoner should really have fancied their chances. They were struck a hard blow in the 2nd over, though, as Justin Jones was LBW to the 7 year old opening bowler for 0. Matthew Quantrill and a slightly rusty Jack Fray took their time rebuilding from there, but just as they seemed to be getting going Quantrill was bowled for 19. Olly Green came in, but again just as he started to play some shots he was given out LBW, somewhat to his surprise, after Justin Jones appeared to have been so shocked by the ferocity of the appeals for two successive balls that he just couldn't keep his finger to himself. With Ben Roberts also not having played much cricket this season through injury the next partnership were in difficulty upping the run rate, though they tried before both perished to Rob Smith. They were joined shortly afterwards by Ed Ellis who having successfully struck one shot over the top failed to repeat the trick shortly afterwards and was caught at mid-off. With the score at 84-6 and somewhat over 6 an over required, this brought together Ben Seddon and Will Mclaren-Clarke. Both played in an orthodox style and although a little slow at the start they started to speed up, particularly Will who hit some beautiful cover drives to the boundary and soon started to scatter the fielders. Just as victory was looking a realistic prospect Ben fell to Rob Smith for 22 and Brian Taylor became Smith's 5th victim shortly afterwards. Sam Roberts struck a couple of good blows before being 9th out, leaving 22 needed from the last two overs. However with a batsman of the calibre of Derek Roberts at number 11 and Mclaren-Clarke still striking the ball well Wooburn obviously felt it would be too dangerous to press for the final wicket and victory and six fielders remained on the boundary. As a result although they kept trying the last pair could not get the runs, though they never looked likely to get out. Will reached a well deserved 54* before the end, but couldn't manage 8 off the last ball, and the match finished as a reasonably exciting draw.


Stoner v Mike Adams' XI

Tuesday July 23rd, 2002

Stoner 135-2

Match abandoned due to very damp atmosphere.

Hasty consultation before the game saw Ben Seddon unanimously elected captain for the day in a hotly contested ballot in which his chief opponent Sam Roberts' hustings speech ("Let Ben do it.") probably clinched the job for Ben. With the opposition skipper arriving late Ben went out to toss with his deputy, and the Stoner team waiting eagerly on the sidelines were soon able to tell that he had won the toss by the look of confusion on his face. Looking at the looming clouds he obviously decided that the conditions were well suited to batting and so sent Mike Adams' X (that's not a misprint it was only when they got on the field that they realised they only had 10 players) out onto the pitch for a couple of hours of getting very damp.

Matthew Quantrill and Justin Jones once again set out to open the innings for Stoner, with more success than on Monday, as Justin scored a run off the first ball. Justin was soon into his stride (a strange word to use for someone with so little foot movement in his batting) smashing anything loose and much that wasn't loose to all corners of the field. 54 had been added before Quantrill edged one to the very impressive South African wicket-keeper. Justin continued to frustrate bowlers and fielders alike, dropping several just out of fielder's reach on his way to 56 before he made the mistake of trying to play a defensive shot to Tom Gilliat and was bowled. Barney Green was carrying on the good work and scoring freely, and Sam Roberts also looked very comfortable, even against the pace of the 4th bowler, Oliver. With the rain increasing a cloth was called for to dry the ball, inducing a search of the pavilion. This resulted in the unfortunate Honorary Secretary of Stoner, who had been reduced to sleeping in the pavilion by the invading Mongol army occupying the rest of the school, coming out of the changing room having found a cloth in a sensible place (a cricket bag) only to find several other team members, led by a senior vice-president who really should know better, going through the cupboard where he had carefully stored his clothes for the week, scattering them around the pavilion and debating the merits of his underwear for use as a rag to dry the ball! In the meantime, back on the field, Barney had reached 43 and Sam 10 when, with the total on 135-2 from just 23 overs, the latest of several debates on the weather decided that the constant drizzle was unlikely to stop and that the ball and field (and fielders and umpires) were getting too wet to be able to safely continue. After an early tea, with no real sign of improvement the game was abandoned.

And guess what? Almost immediately, it brightened up and stopped raining!

Stoner v Steep

Wednesday July 24th, 2002

Stoner won toss

Stoner 233-7 declared

Steep 155-10

Draw (see below if you can't understand how Stoner took 10 wickets and still didn't win!)

A variation on Tuesday's theme occurred after Steep had lost the toss and been asked to field. Knowing that they had one man arriving late they were a little surprised to find that they had 11 players already on the field. 'What's Mike Jones doing here?' said a startled Mr. Wicksteed as the Commander took the field. According to the Commander Rollo had asked him to play, and the arrangement had been confirmed not once, but several times. Stoner, meanwhile, were playing their own numbers game with Matt Evans due in from a top level meeting on Brazilian Test Match status at Lords and not expected to arrive until about 4.00 (or 3.00 if you listened to Matt, which not many do). Sam Roberts had come along to start the game in Matt's absence, Ben Roberts was also hanging around and in the meantime two of the selected XI, Harry Grey and Olly Housden, had yet to put in an appearance. Harry and his hat arrived at around 2.15, but Olly Housden failed to turn up at all. It subsequently emerged that he had an emergency dental appointment and had left a message on Derek Roberts' answerphone to explain this, but with Derek being in Hampshire and his answerphone in Buckinghamshire the two had failed to connect. Rollo was anxious to cover up his embarrassment and suggested a 12 a side game, cunningly waiting until he knew that his side were fielding so that Stoner would have to take 11 wickets to win, and so both the junior Roberts were drafted in and the game got under way.

Stoner opened with multiple Band-Aid award winner Laurie Goldsmith and a slim, fit man probably half his age, Guy Seddon. Despite this there was still an occasion when Lawrie was able to complete a third run and tap Guy on the shoulder pointing out that there was a third run to be had and that he really ought to set off for the other end as soon as possible. Laurie was in fact revelling in the openers role, while Guy was also looking very solid and, although seeming a little rusty, picking off some lovely shots off his legs with very deft late turns of the bat. After a slowish start the run rate began to pick up, particularly with the introduction of the change bowlers, Mike Jones and Rudi Antrobus. Rudi can seldom have gone for 33 runs in his first four overs, but Laurie in particular tucked into his bowling including two sixes over mid-wicket before being stumped off Mike Jones for 69 with the score on 125.

This caused something of a crisis for Stoner, and particularly for Harry Grey. Paul Hutt went in at three, but hadn't yet faced a ball when Guy, having taken 6 runs off the next 3 balls was bowled by Rudi Antrobus for 57. Harry was due in next at number 4, and having not had his pads on those on the sidelines assumed that the noises from the changing room were him hastily padding up. However time passed, and he failed to emerge, leaving some spectators idly appealing for 'timed out', before Harry finally wandered around the side of the pavilion form the direction of the toilets, sans pads, asking why the fielders were all standing around doing nothing and looking in the direction of the pavilion. When it was explained that he was supposed to be batting he momentarily returned to Planet Earth, rushing to get his pads and gloves on and race out into the middle, only to be bowled first ball! Will Mclaren-Clark survived the hat-trick ball and took a single off the last (seventh) ball of the over, then took 7 from the next, with a single off the last, before playing out a maiden. Paul Hutt having watched 3 overs, 14 runs and two wickets from the non-strikers end finally got to face a ball, his first of the season. It was a promising start as the ball disappeared to the cover boundary for 4, but for Paul it was all downhill from there as no more runs came and he was bowled by the last ball of the over, leaving Stoner on 143 for 4. From here on a series of steady partnerships of around 20 or so continued the run rate of just over 5 an over as Will Mclaren-Clark scored 31, Bob Hill 9, Ben Seddon 23, Ben Roberts 17* and Justin Jones 14*, enabling Stoner to declare on 233-7 at about 4.30. There were plenty of good strokes from all these batsmen, although Justin Jones attempt to realise his ambition for the week and hit Ed Ellis's short ball into the swimming pool was not one of them as a huge swish at the ball produced a thin edge which dribbled out to mid-wicket a total distance of about 15 yards, somewhat short of the 100 yard carry required to reach the target.

After an enjoyable tea specially prepared by Rollo Wicksteed, including his speciality smoked salmon sandwiches and a 50th birthday cake for Derek Roberts, Stoner opened the bowling with their second string seam attack of aspiring international player Matt Evans (he is attempting to arrange a three way tournament between Brazil, Chile and the Falkland Islands, though is struggling to get a date at Lords to host the final) and Ben Seddon, whose ambitions are less grand if slightly more realistic. After 7 overs the score was 4-0, and those 4 were byes from one Ben speared down the leg side. Whether Stoner have ever started an innings with 7 consecutive maidens must be very doubtful, and although Ben Seddon conceded one or two Matt Evans went on to bowl 5 overs and 5 balls without conceding a run before being smashed for 4 from the last ball of his sixth over and immediately being removed from the attack. Ben Seddon did make the initial breakthrough with Megan ????? (Sorry about the lack of names - the scorebook didn't get copied up! Please fill in the blanks and let me know if you can.) being well caught down the leg side by Matthew Quantrill standing up. With a big target for Steep to chase and the first half hour having made only a tiny dent in that target Stoner now switched to the spin of Sam Roberts and Justin Jones. Jones nearly struck straight away when Steep 1st XI captain ?????? mis-hit the first ball he faced from him, but as Matthew Quantrill dived forward to take the catch inches from the ground he was just able to get his fingertips to the ball only to have it knocked from his grasp as he hit the ground. Both Sam and Justin produced chances as Steep tried to attack, but initially they didn't quite go to hand. Eventually it was a poor ball from Justin that produced a wicket as one pulled down well outside off stump bounced twice before reaching the keeper almost on the next pitch, but caught out ????? coming down the wicket and Matthew Quantrill had enough time to bring the ball back from a couple of yards away and complete the stumping before the batsman could regain his ground. Steep carried on attacking, though, and at ??-2 the pessimists amongst the Stoner youth felt that the situation was getting dangerous and that the front line seamers should be brought into the attack. The skipper was made of sterner stuff, though, and Jones and Roberts continued their all leg-break attack and started to chip away at the wickets as Steep tried to keep up the run rate. The fall of wickets brought a slow down in the run chase, and after Rudi Antrobus had teased Justin Jones at square leg by dropping the ball just out of his reach a few times and then inducing a drop, Steep pretty much gave up the chase. Bob Hill replaced Jones and managed to run out Rudi, deflecting a straight drive back onto the stumps and catching him backing up just too far. Sam Roberts continued almost to the end taking 4-?? in a marathon spell of 18 overs, but once the chase was given up Steep dug in determinedly, none more so than Mike Jones at number 11 who survived the last few overs surrounded by every fielder trying to dive in and get under his defensive prods before they reached the ground. Stoner took a tenth wicket and thus a moral victory, but even a last over from Matt Evans couldn't induce a mistake from Jones and the match ended as officially a draw.

Stoner v Carpe Diem

Thursday July 25th, 2002

Stoner won toss

Carpe Diem 212-7 declared

Stoner 187-9


Remarkably Stoner took the field with the 11 players named on the team sheet, a rarity at any time, and particularly deep into the week. For the 2nd year in succession Matthew Quantrill won the toss, but having had his fingers badly burnt last year when Stoner batted, mustered a low score with the aid of generous declaration bowling and were then thrashed by 6 wickets with 10 overs to spare, he elected this year to take the defensive route and put Carpe Diem in. The introduction of Will Mclaren-Clark and the retirement from Carpe Diem of George Fenton meant that Carpe Diem didn't score quite as fiercely as they have in the past, though Peter Fenton was still quick to attack anything loose. Will was unlucky on several occasions, though he got one wicket in his opening 9 over spell, taking 1-37, while Connor Wilkinson at the other end took 0-40 in his 8, his figures spoilt by a last over costing 13 runs as Fenton continued to attack.

Stoner soon fell back on spin bowling, Stoner debutant Olly Housden recovering from his dental problems of the previous day to bowl a spell of varied off and leg breaks with some good balls, that deserved a better return than he got. At the other end Derek Roberts had a brief whinge about having to bowl with the short leg side boundary, but having been placated when it was explained to him that he was expected to have the experience to prevent the batsmen taking advantage he proceeded to prove how accurate those words were by removing Fenton for 63 in his first over and taking a wicket in each of his next two, giving him figures of 3-9. Sensing that he was in danger of running through the entire side and ruining the game as a contest Derek then feigned a strained muscle in his side to save Carpe Diem any embarrassment at having to have a bowler removed from the attack in order to save them and retired to the field. He couldn't be kept out of the game for long, though, as he soon took a catch off his replacement Justin Jones' bowling. There then followed a remarkable cameo innings as Vic Mayers drove his third ball from Justin for a big straight six and pulled the fifth ball into the trees for another. He was then watching at the other end as Chris Kille played out a maiden from Ed Ellis, becoming frustrated enough to try and drive the last ball, hitting it straight back to Ed. Obviously remembering Rudi Antrobus's dismissal the previous day, and anxious to spare Justin any further punishment from Mayers, Ed reacted swiftly and with remarkable selflessness by dropping the catch onto the stumps and running Mayers out backing up too far.

This drop was just one of numerous lives that Kille was granted as Stoner made him very welcome on his first visit to Bedales. Some were fairly mundane missed run outs and stumpings, plus a drop by Connor Wilkinson which he later described as one where the fielder had always looked confident until the moment it went down, though others were less convinced when the ball was in the air. One drop was something special, though, and will live in the mind for some time, particularly as there was a brief delay before play could resume afterwards because one or two fielders were laughing so much. Justin Jones was the unfortunate bowler, and had tossed one up outside off stump. Kille had gone for a big slash across the line and taken a thickish top edge. The ball was moving slowly enough for Matthew Quantrill, the keeper, to be able to get a hand too it, but not to hold onto it, just to parry it further up in the air. He turned around, expecting to be able to complete the catch comfortably as the ball lobbed gently about ten feet in the air and came down just behind him. His way, however, was blocked by the solid figure of Mike Russell standing at slip, with the ball descending slowly towards his hands. Unfortunately when it reached his hands it continued to descend, blocked only temporarily on its fall to the ground by his stomach and knee, and followed thereto by a number of fielders, either in despair or mirth. Mike did partly redeem himself with a brave block with his shins in the field, which left him in some pain thereafter! With the aid of Stoner's generosity, and support from Gary Browning, Kille rescued Carpe Diem form the brink of a lowish score and carried the total to 212 before, having completed his 50, he went a long way down the wicket to Ed Ellis and missed, Matthew Quantrill this time successfully completing the stumping and bringing about the declaration.

With a long batting line up and plenty of time Stoner should have fancied their chances of chasing 213 to win. Hopes were raised when Laurie Goldsmith pulled a huge six in the fifth over, losing the match ball, but shortly afterwards he edged to slip, and Mike Russell, having struck 6 fours followed him in the 11th over. Ben Roberts got a leading edge to the first ball from the change bowling and at 39-3 Stoner had some rebuilding to do. Matthew Quantrill and Will Mclaren-Clark managed to do this with some style, keeping the runs ticking over and reducing the equation to just 120 from the final 20. When Will took 20 runs off the third over of the 20, pulling pace bowler Vic Mayers for 2, 4, 6, 4 & 4 in successive balls, bringing up his 50 and bringing the target down to 5 an over Stoner seemed in complete control. However having scored a 4 with his infamous reverse sweep Matthew Quantrill was then softly dismissed helping a ball gently into the hands of short leg to end a stand of 85. Ben Seddon soon followed and Justin Jones having smashed 1 four just past mid on found the fielder with his next shot. Will rebuilt again with Olly Housden, adding 49 for the 7th wicket before Housden holed out on the boundary, and the run rate required began to climb out of reach, particularly against the opening bowler Ian Linsdell who had returned. Ed Ellis and Connor Wilkinson were run out attempting to keep the rate up, though Connor was not in any way convinced that he was out. With Derek Roberts unable to run 27 off the last three overs was not going to be feasible. Derek safely played them out with Will Mclaren-Clark finishing unbeaten on 88, though he added some life to the proceedings by driving one ball in the penultimate over very hard and being dropped by Vic Mayers (who was not having the most fortunate of matches) getting one hand to it as it flew past him. In the end it was a slightly disappointing end to an exciting game, but the anti-climax lasted only for three overs, and once people had got over one or two individual disappointments and reached the Harrow it was generally felt to have been a very enjoyable game all round.

Stoner v Ropley

Friday July 26th, 2002

Ropley won toss

Ropley 216-6 declared

Stoner 217-8

Stoner won by 2 wickets

After his fine captaincy led Stoner to victory against Ropley last year Connor Wilkinson was re-appointed to general acclaim. The same could not be said for his counterpart, Olly Green, who was ignominiously sacked from the position. In his place Ropley had head-hunted an overseas player, Gavin Tongue, fresh from leading the West Indies attack in the under 19 world cup (NB While there may be some exaggerations in other parts of these reports this is not - he genuinely was a West Indies Under 19 opening bowler). Ropley started solidly against the ageing Stoner pace attack of Wilkinson and Evans, with Olly Green (still allowed to open the batting) resisting the intimidation of Evans. The switch to Ben Seddon and Will McLaren-Clark brought the breakthrough, and Will troubled all the batsmen, extracting plenty of pace from the pitch on his way to taking 4 wickets, including the West Indian Tongue who had struck one or two powerful blows before edging behind. Much to his despair Will couldn't quite take a 5th wicket, with a number of catches going down or not quite going to hand. In the end Will resorted to desperate shouts of 'Someone please catch that!' as the ball left the bat, but was taken off with just the four to his name.

Although Ropley had been in trouble against the pace bowlers they took to the spin attack with much more gusto and added plenty of runs for the sixth and seventh wickets, allowing them to declare at 4.45 with what looked a formidable total on the board. It may well have been a sufficient total if Tongue had opened up at full pace, but he doesn't do that in friendly games apparently, so Mike Russell and John Howland were able to set off against the alternative opening bowlers with remarkable serenity. Russell in particular struck some powerful blows and even ran a single or two, and on one occasion when the ball stopped just inside a distant boundary he managed to come back for a second! This was, however, to be a team effort, and almost every batsman made some contribution as Stoner scored at a steady pace, needing 6 an over off the last 20. Justin Jones made the highest individual contribution with 48, but everyone continued to contribute despite various misfortunes. Matthew Quantrill strained something in his groin in spinning round to try and hit the ball over square leg, and fell spectacularly to the ground, but Ben Seddon came back from alleged injury in the field to help Matt Evans carry Stoner closer to victory. With 6 overs remaining and the game seemingly finely balanced young Mr. Tongue obviously decided it was time to put some pressure on. He was clearly bowling only at half pace, but was still probably the fastest bowler of the week. Nonetheless Matt and Ben played him with apparent ease. Ben, blessed with the over-confidence of youth and helmet-wearing, attempting to pull almost every ball and succeeding a sufficient number of times for the necessary runs to be scored comfortably. However with three overs remaining and just 14 needed Evans was out to the spinner at the other end and Ed Ellis could not score off the rest of the over. Ben managed 5 off Tongue's final over, but when he took a single off the first ball of the final over leaving 8 needed, a 5th draw of the week was looking odds on. Ed managed a superb cover drive for 4 off the next ball however, and two off the next to suddenly turn things around again. With three balls left and just two needed though, he managed to get himself out. 2 needed off 2, with 2 wickets in hand, and the captain Connor Wilkinson strode to the crease. There was a theory that the game would be much more entertaining if he were to get himself out, thus leaving all results possible off the final ball, but the captain was not in a romantic mood. He advanced down the wicket to his first ball and squeezed it away to point, where the fielder could only half stop it, allowing the necessary two runs to be made with a ball to spare, for the first positive result of the week. An excellent game which delighted most of the participants, though not many went as far as Ben Seddon and did a somersault in a helmet to celebrate!

Stoner v Goodwood

Sunday July 28th, 2002

Stoner 249-? Declared

Goodwood 169-8


The very nature of Sunday cricket was hotly debated after this match. Stoner fielded a very different team than the ones that had played in the week, with Justin Jones and Harry Grey the only common members. There were three Australians in it for a start.

Julien Allen won the toss and, with his team mates in mind, many of whom had travelled a long way in the heat, elected to bat on a very hot day, but in hindsight the game would have been easier to win had Stoner fielded first. Sean Keaton, from Canberra, scored 139, helped by Ed Smith from Sydney, who got 50, in a total of 249, inflated somewhat by Julien Allen's uncharacteristic 26 off 12 balls. The pitch was a belter and the outfield lightning fast. The mutterings from the Goodwood team at tea were that they weren't confident of overhauling the total.

Goodwood started slowly and lost early wickets to the pace of Smith and Rushent. Then in what later transpired to be an aberration brought about by a contrived batting order, one of Goodwood's senior players opted to block out a full 3 overs of Justin Jones' grenades, with over an hour and a half to go and plenty of opportunity to chase the total. Meanwhile wickets were falling steadily at the other end and Stoner's best chance of a win was to breach the Goodwood defences. Attempts to use slower bowlers to lure false strokes foundered on Goodwood's dogged resistance: with the 20 overs beginning, they had not reached 100 and they had well and truly shut up shop. In an effort to win the game (an objective which did not meet with universal approval) the wicket takers, Smith, Rushent and Oldham were brought back and Goodwood ended with 8 down, 80 short of the total. The last 20 overs had in fact been some of the best cricket of the match, with Goodwood's [beardy bloke - got 40 - don't have the scorebook] fending off some superb fast bowling for an unbeaten 40 - a heroic knock to save the game. Interestingly, the Goodwood captain came in at No.9 and looked very comfortable against pace, taking Smith for 12 in one over.

In the aftermath, opinions were voiced, as those Goodwood batsmen who got out cheaply and had had their wickets splattered questioned Stoner's tactics. It was explained that it was bowlers like Justin Jones who got Goodwood out (this conflicted somwehat with what had just happened) and that Stoner declared too late. In addition, Goodwood explained that the only way to play Sunday cricket is to give everyone a bat or a bowl, which they did and Stoner didn't. Finally, it was suggested that a bouncer (about 5 of which had been bowled in the innings) could never be classed as a wicket-taking delivery. A lot of these arguments have merit: the declaration had intended to be at 220 (there were easily 500 runs out there) but a late, quick surge before the declaration inflated the total; as far as slow bowling was concerned, Julien was keeping in the absence of volunteers, so could not bowl his deceptively awful off spin. But the overarching reality was that Goodwood (a very capable team) had the firepower to take on the total and they chose not to. If their reverse batting order meant that quality bats were waiting in the pavilion while rabbits faced the music on the pitch, this is no fault of Stoner's. Mostly it was hurt pride from people who expect their Sunday runs to be served up to them on a silver platter by uncompetitive bowling. Instead of relishing a wholly different kind of challenge, Goodwood reacted too conservatively.

The good news is that whilst the debate continued at the Harrow, it was very amicable and the two teams shared a number of laughs and a number of drinks, and Stoner donated a jug of beer to show that there were no hard feelings. Goodwood's unbeaten batsman shared a secret with us - that he had only been allowed to face 6 balls all season before this match, and that this was some of the best cricket he had been involved in.

Next year, though, Goodwood might not relish a re-run of the same kind. Julien is happy to step down if necessary, or select a lower standard of ringers. But the fixture is still a good one, and Goodwood House is one of the nicest grounds in the county, so lets have full Stoner support for next year and show Goodwood our true colours.

Julien would like to thank all the players, particularly for one of the best fielding displays seen at the Mem for a while - every ball was over the stumps, and players like Justin Jones, Alex Rushent, and Andy Radford were throwing it there from the boundary on the full. There were no sloppy singles allowed and not a catch was spilled. The overall standard of the Stoner performance, batting bowling and fielding, was first class.


Those Nominations in Full!

Champagne Moment 2002

1) Will agreeing to play all week: Strictly this occurred before the week started, but if you have read the reports you will know that Will made a substantial playing contribution, as well as making the numbers high enough to guarantee the week could go ahead.

2) Oli Green catch on Monday: See the Wooburn report. For someone supposedly past his peak Olly took a superb diving catch at short mid-wicket.

3) Harry Grey not being ready to bat: Full description in the report of the Steep game. After a long opening partnership two quick wickets fell, catching Harry not padded up in the toilet.

4) Will's straight drive off the back foot: A piece of batting which particularly impressed Mr. Roberts

5) Rudi's run out backing up: Just as Rudi was scoring some runs and possibly bring Steep back into the game Bob Hill deflected a drive onto the stumps to run him out backing up. Bob claims, and I believe him, that the deflection was deliberate.

6) Will's 20 off an over: Fully covered in the Carpe Diem report. At a crucial stage in the match Carpe Diem's quick bowler bowled consistently short at Will, who consistently pulled him to the boundary.

7) Justin taking a wicket with a double bouncer: Just as Steep's first team captain was building a big innings Justin bowled him a wide one that bounced twice on its way through to the keeper. The batsman had advanced down the wicket, and was possibly laughing so much that he couldn't recover as the wicket keeper collected the ball from somewhere near point and ran back to complete the stumping.


After much debate in which there was a strong lobby for Harry Grey, Will Mclaren-Clark was the winner for a combination of numbers 4 & 6.

Low Alcohol Lager Moment 2002

1) The weather on Tuesday: Not strictly a moment, but as things were going quite well until then and we were short of bad moments the persistent drizzle got a nomination.

2) Refusal of Secretary to allow his underwear to be used to dry the ball: I wouldn't have put the nomination in quite this way myself, but this was certainly a low point from my point of view. I was sleeping in the pavilion for the week, and having found half a cupboard which wasn't full of mouldering pieces of old cricket equipment and carefully stored my clothes in it I wasn't best pleased to find half the team throwing them around the pavilion trying to select which piece of clothing was best to be used as a rag to dry the ball with. Mr. Wicksteed tried to claim he had thought it was just a pile of old rags, having obviously failed to notice the two books, radio, bicycle lights and wash-bag neatly stored with the clothes.

3) Justin's first dropped catch: Rudi had been tormenting Justin by carefully placing shots just out of his reach at square leg, before putting one into his hands, whereupon the frustrated Justin dropped it!

4) The French invasion of the Marquee: Going back to the fact that the secretary is sleeping in the pavilion, in the early hours of Thursday morning he is woken by the sound of voices. After a short while he realises they are not going away, and gets up with his torch to investigate. Shining his torch at the marquee he picks out a young boy, who when asked what he is doing replies 'Zut alors, merdre, je ne sais pas' or some such foreign phrase. Noticing that the edge of the marquee seems to be lifted up the intrepid secretary peers underneath and shines his torch inside. Another young foreigner is picked out, while from the far corners a rustling sound can be heard, followed by the sounds of several footsteps fading into the distance. The newly caught frenchman demands to know what has happened to his friend, clearly fearing that this fearsome night watchman has done away with him, before the happily reunited couple do a rapid disappearing act to follow their friends.

5) Stoner taking 10 wickets and not winning: See the report of the Steep game for full details, but a scoreboard reading 155-10 when trying to bowl the opposition out is depressing reading for the last three overs.

6) Justin Jones attempt to hit Ed Ellis into the swimming pool: The swimming pool has been done up like an international airport terminal, complete with transparent flyover to the sports hall, and all week Justin had been itching to be the first person to break the new roof. When Ed Ellis bowled him a leg side long hop in the Steep game his eyes lit up, his bat whirled and came through at fearsome speed, making a thin contact with the ball and sending it soaring several inches before landing and rolling a few yards toward mid wicket.

7) Mike Russell's dropped catch: Against Carpe Diem, with Justin Jones bowling, one of their batsmen got a top edge on a cut. The wicketkeeper got his glove to it, and as the ball was moving upward deflected it gently in the air, straight to Mike Russell, who didn't have to move to take the simplest of catches. Unfortunately he took not moving too far, doing very little with his hands as the ball went straight through them, gently rolled down his stomach and legs and fell to the ground.

8) Connor's run out: In the desperate run chase against Carpe Diem Connor took a very risky second. The fielder threw the ball in, and it was going to hit the stumps, running Connor out comfortably. However the bowler caught the ball, then realised that there was a run out on and removed the bails, by which time Connor was much closer to being in (100% closer according to Connor.) The umpire however had his finger in the air, possibly without having noticed the bowler's intervention which had so delayed the inevitable. I am not actually sure if the nomination is for the incident itself or for the fact that Connor talked everyone through it numerous times in the pavilion and the Harrow.


My poetic skills probably fail to do justice to the moment, but for those who were there there was little doubt - Mike Russell for number 7!