Stoner Cricket Club

Founded 1934
  Match Reports for 2010 


2010 Reports

The following fixtures took place, and the reports are below. To jump straight to a particular report click on the opposition's name in the list below.





Start Time


June 26th





July 19th





July 20th

C. Vincent's XI




July 21st


Steep CC



July 22nd

Carpe Diem




July 23rd




A full set of averages for 2010 are available by clicking here.

Stoner v Bedales

Saturday June 26th 2010

Stoner 206 all out (27.5 overs)
Bedales 93 all out (20.1 overs)
Stoner won by 113 runs

The game seems to have followed the pattern of recent years very precisely, with Stoner getting a reasonable score very quickly, a number of batsmen contributing. 17 from the first over was followed by two maidens, but there were to be no more maidens for the school. Paul Bradley, Julien Allen and Hugo Burge got Stoner away to a quick start, and after slipping to 72-4 the total was then rescued by a stand of 101 between Aaron Marais-Gilchrist with 41 and Justin Jones with 67. The rest fell away fairly rapidly, but there were 9 sixes in all in the Stoner innings. The school used 6 bowlers, but Fell with 3-18 was comfortably the pick, though Norman (2-28) and Perry (2-45) also did well.

In reply only Levi, who top scored with 29, and Perry (10) managed to reach double figures - Stoner skipper Justin Jones described it as impossible to stop taking wickets. 7 bowlers were used in short bursts, with Paul Bradley (3-29) leading the way and Ben Grahan (2-5) and Marais-Gilchrist (2-10) being the main contributors. However it seems to have been a brisk and enjoyable game, and at least served to introduce the school team to Stoner, which is after all its main purpose.

Stoner v Barnes

Monday July 20th, 2009

Barnes 224-6 dec. (41.2 overs)
Stoner 213 all out (37 overs)
Stoner lost by 11 runs

Stoner Week 2010 began in glorious sunshine and with much shuffling of teams. Both sides were suffering from late drop outs, and the spare players were being bandied about and debated, until Stoner ended up with Gordon Dale and Barnes with James Hutt and Connor Wilkinson. Some might have suggested this last was the short straw, but in the end Connor may have had the last laugh. Certainly he had the first one, because Barnes won the toss and had no hesitation in choosing to bat first in the heat. It would be fair to say that the Stoner bowling never really got on top of the Barnes batting, and while the odd ball behaved badly off a very grassy wicket it mostly played evenly if rather slowly. Paul Bradley proved to be the tidiest bowler, and it was he who picked up the first wicket, but along the way a number of catching chances, varying from very easy to very diffciult were put down, and after a steady start the Barnes batsmen were able to significantly up the tempo as they looked for a winning total. Colin Baty took the second wicket, but it took the return of Bradley for a second spell to make the third breakthrough and put some sort of brake on the rapidly accelerating run rate. He picked up a third wicket as well, and ended with comfortably the best figures (10-4-34-3), but could not completely curtail the batting. In the end suicidal running in the final pre-declaration over brought the fifth wicket, and James Hutt was then bowled first ball to give Jack Norman a first Stoner wicket and bring the declaration at about 4.35.

It was a big total to chase, but Stoner felt they had plenty of batting, boosted by the cream of Steep CC, who Rollo promised would produce many runs between them. There was also plenty of time after the fairly ealy declaration, even after a superb tea had been taken at a very leisurely pace. Barnes' opening bowler was mysteriously known only as "P-D", and produced a somewhat mixed first over with a wide and two no balls, plus an early edge for 4, but by the end of the over he had rapped Dean Knight on the pad and sent him back to the pavilion for 4, leaving the remaining Steep batsmen with some work to do to provide Wicksteed's bounty. The second opening bowler was apparently Perfect, by name, but not quite so Perfact by nature, and Matthew Quantrill took a few early 4s off him, before pulling a big six over the long leg side boundary. In the meantime Gordon Dale had survived a potential LBW shout by dint of another G-D no ball, saving an argument about the interpretation of the no ball law on the assumptions about full tosses, but then as G-D started to swing the ball away he found the edge, and unfortunately for him found a Barnes fielder at 2nd slip, avoinding first slip which was covered by one C. Wilkinson. At 24-2 Stoner had much work to do, but Paul Hutt helped Quantrill to steady the ship, and they saw off the opening bowlers reasonably comfortably. The change bowling of Barnes skipper Foulds, bowling an apparently random mix of whatever ball came into his mind, and Connor Wilkinson, bowling slow off cutters, brought some relief. Wilkinson took an over or two to settle into a rhythm, and Quantrill in particular took advantage, including a reverse sweep for 4 from his second ball. The pair brought the target down to less than 120 off the final 20 overs, but just as they had reached their century partnership, exactly 100 runs behind, disaster struck. Hutt tried to force a ball from Wilkinson that was too close to him and scooped it up into the covers to be out for 23. John Smith then hit his second ball, a full toss, straight to mid off, and the Steep contribution remained stuck on 4. Colin Baty wouldn't really count as a Steep player in this context, being a Stoner member in his own right, but he seemed to catch their disease today. He took 2 and 1 from the last two balls of Wilkinson's over, then was dropped on the deep square boundary, but immediately hit one to fine leg to be out for 5. The watching Quantrill at the other end had seen the score go from a healthy 124-2 to 129-5 without facing a ball. However there was plenty of batting left, and Justin Jones at number 7 is never a bad indication of depth of batting. He started in his usual fashion, hitting Wilkinson and Foulds out of the attack in no time, indeed almost hitting Wilkinson out of the game completely as one fierce return drive seemed to be heading straight at his face before he managed to get his hands up to it fast enough to take some of the sting out of it and divert it into a glancing blow rather than the full blown nose crusher it had initially looked. This brought on the left arm spin of Benfield and the return of the opening bowler, G-D. With 45 runs added in no time the rate had been reduced to only just over 4 an over and the game seemed to be heading inexorably Stoner's way, when Quantrill played round a straight ball from Benfield and was bowled for 97, much to his frustration. Again the wickets fell in clusters - within moments Dale Collins had been caught for a duck (Steep contribution....still 4) and in the next over Jones got a thin edge to be caught behind for 30. Suddenly it was 178-8 and seemed all over, although Ben Seddon and Paul Bradley make a more than useful 9th wicket pair. They looked good for a little while, but Benfield struck again when Bradley pulled him only to see Connor Wilkinson, already with 2 wickets to his name, leap walrus like to his right and take the catch above his shoulders when the ball seemed past him. It was the sort of agility not seen from Wilkinson for many years, and no doubt will raise high expectations from his fielding in the remaining games. The game was not dead yet, though, even with 36 still needed. Jack Norman looked more than capable at number 11, and Seddon was looking very sound, hitting G-D out of the attack by coming down the track at him, something he later admitted threw him into complete confusion and caused him to lose his control completely. 13 from that over helped reduce the target, and although Benfield remained tight and Perfect (replacing G-D) was also tidy in his first over back only 12 were needed from the final 2 overs. It looked like another last over cliff hanger, but from the second ball of the penultimate over Norman drove powerfully, but uppishly, and the bowler got two hands to it and deflected it towards his captain, Foulds, who bent low to scoop up the rebound and spark riotous celebrations amongst the Barnes team. An 11 run defeat, but an excellent game to start the week with, even if it did continue Stoner's rather unfortunate recent habit of managing to lose the close finishes.

Stoner v Chris Vincent's XI

Tuesday July 20th, 2010

C.Vincent's XI 258-4 dec. (29 overs)
Stoner 184 (28.3 overs)
Stoner lost by 74 runs

So, first the annual diversion to the prestigious Stoner Golf Tournament, played over the hallowed turf of the Old Course at Petersfield Heath. With the Roberts family junior members sadly absent this year Mr. Britten was deprived of his caddy, which no doubt had a serious affect on his form, and all were deprived of the challenge of Ben Roberts, and indeed of George Taylor. The BBC (Britten, Bursar & Connor) threesome contested the match alone, and it was the organiser Connor Wilkinson who “played out of his skin” to win the eponymous trophy. This, though, raised something of a problem, for the eponymous trophy (The Connor Wilkinson 7 Wood) was nowhere to be seen. The Bursar asked the person who won it last year (the Bursar), but he didn't know, having vague memories of it being presented to him and then being whipped away again. It was suggested that a check was made with the engravers, to see if it had been left there, but it appears the winners names are not engraved on the trophy. And so as this is written the quandary has not been resolved, and with the deadline for presentation rushing ever closer Connor is waiting in suspense to know what, if anything, he will be presented with.

A later addendum to the golf report is needed to relate the extraordinary tale of the route round the course that our intrepid threesome took. It appears that they started at the 5th hole of what is a 12 hole course, and managed to get round to the 12th. By now having realised their initial mistake they returned to play the first four holes, but again managed to miss the first, going straight to the second. They played holes 2, 3 & 4 and returned to have a third attempt at playing the first, but discovered a queue of people on the tee. By this time Mr. Britten was ready for a beer, and Connor was well ahead, so they gave up on it, and thus managed a unique record - the only Stoner golf tournament to be decided without completing the first hole.

And so to the cricket, though perhaps it would have been better to stick with the golf, where at least we were only up against each other. Unfortunately a year when Stoner are probably rather weaker than average coincided with one in which Chris Vincent had a stronger side than average, their first team captain's wedding bringing back two previous overseas players, who just happened to be available for a mid-week side. With at least 6 Premier League players in their side they were always likely to be easy winners, and had no hesitation in batting on winning the toss. There were a couple of early wickets from mis-hit attacking shots, but those only served to bring in the first of the Aussies, and from then on it was a constant diet of boundaries and cleanly hit shots. Eventually the opener, Butt, charged Justin Jones and missed, to be stumped, bringing in the other Aussie, and the only remaining wicket came when the first Aussie had got his hundred and charged Connor Wilkinson, edging him back onto his stumps. The bowling figures make sorry reading, but probably the pick was Jack Norman, who took 1-34 in 6 overs and was the only bowler to go for less than 8 an over! To add to Stoner's misery Justin Jones pulled up with a pulled muscle on his leg while fielding on the boundary, and had to retire form the game and the week – ending what he estimates to be a run of over 100 consecutive Stoner games that he has played in. At this point Chris Vincent took pity on Stoner and loaned them his third overseas player, leaving his own side to complete the game with just ten men. Their declaration came at 258-4 after only 29 overs, so early that tea was not ready and Stoner had to bat for half an hour before tea.

That half hour was probably the high point of the game for Stoner, with Laurie Goldsmith and the borrowed player, Jarryd Daniels, both looking very comfortable, even against the pace of the Australian Thistle, who bowled nearly flat out at Daniels to no avail. The runs mounted rapidly and at tea Stoner were 62 without loss in good time. Had it rained at that point, with less than 200 needed from more than an hour plus twenty overs they could well have claimed to be ahead on Duckworth-Lewis, but there were no rescuing thunderstorms in sight, and after the usual excellent tea they had to return to the field. For a little while they carried on as before, but when the stand had reached 84 Thistle got one to just touch the stumps and dislodge one of Goldsmith's bails, ending his innings at 23 and from there on it was always a struggle. Daniels top edged one soon afterwards, and although Dylan Pearson played one good pull his first innings in some 17 years didn't last long. For a little while Ben Seddon and Matthew Quantrill looked sound enough in a partnership of 32 scored at a decent rate, but when Quantrill was caught in two minds over a shot and flipped a gentle catch to fine leg the rest fell rapidly. Ben Seddon played on, scoring well whenever he had the chance, but he had no support and the end was accelerated by a hat trick for Ryan, including a brace of Hutts first ball before he took the final wicket to end with figures of 6-50, despite looking probably the most innocuous of the Vincent's XI bowlers. (Oddly the one who should have been the best, having only recently been released by Hampshire (Morgan) failed to take a wicket at all in 7 relatively expensive overs.) Ben Seddon remained unbeaten on 46, comfortably the performance of the day by a Stoner player, and managed to get the total to 184 and the margin of defeat down to 74 runs, meaning that on paper it didn't look quite as comprehensively humiliating as it was in real life.

Steep v Stoner

Wednesday July 21st, 2010

Steep 284-6 (40 overs)
Stoner 250-7 (40 overs)
Stoner lost by 34 runs

For the first time in years the Stoner side for the local derby against Steep was not captained by Matt Evans, but the game still managed to have its share of controversy, and not because of the presence of Evans as an umpire either. New Stoner captain Ben Seddon became the third captain in succession to lose the toss, and Stoner were once again condemned to fielding in the heat. Worse than that they were also reduced to ten men despite finding Steep's Sunday captain available, and none of the Steep side were prepared to take a turn in the field to assist. Steep were soon finding the boundaries, and after the first few overs were looking set for a total well beyond 300. Martyn Dodd got one to swing back from the leg side to catch Giles Williams in front, which at least slowed the scoring rate a little, but Dean Knight was making up for his lack of runs for Stoner on Monday by hitting them all round the ground today. Gordon Dale briefly slowed them up with some well flighted spin, but it eventually took the very occasional spin of Matthew Quantrill to get the breakthrough. This only had the effect of bringing in Colin Baty, and with wickets in hand the run rate continued to climb through the final ten overs. Knight eventually found a fielder who could catch, having survived a number of half-chances and almost chances, and was out for 140, and Jack Norman picked up 3 wickets in a good final spell to finish with 3-69 in 11 overs, but the eventual total of 284 looked very high, especially to a Stoner side shorn of the attacking prowess of Justin Jones.

The first two maidens of the match were the first two overs of the Stoner innings, but Ben Seddon and Matthew Quantrill both looked comfortable enough and soon started to pick up runs, Seddon in particular looking to attack. Just as they were getting going came the moment of controversy. Quantrill played forward to Turnball, with bat and pad together. There was a sound, the keeper caught the ball and there was an appeal. Precisely what happened next is subject of debate! The Steep team, and most of the spectators thought they saw the umpire, Chris Grocock put his finger up. Quantrill, having felt nothing beyond bat on pad, had turned to follow the ball initially, and by the time he turned back the umpire certainly did not have his finger up. The Steep team were celebrating, but Quantrill was stood at the crease waiting to see if he had been given out or not. After a couple of seconds of stand off the umpire said that he was reconsidering and it was not out. Steep claimed he had given it out and couldn't change his mind, which clearly he could, and there was another moment or two of stand off before the game resumed. The umpire later said he had never given it out, but had raised his notebook, as he does when considering a decision, and that he had meant to say he was still considering rather than reconsidering - and in fairness to him he has not usually been so quick to give decisions this week when he has given them. However a small number of the Steep team took the whole thing badly, and seemed to blame the batsman rather than the umpire, presumably on the basis of him bullying the umpire into changing his mind. The result was that the rest of the innings was marred by repeated comments, not directed at the batsman, but loud enough to be heard, and three of the Steep team turned their backs on him rather than shake hands at the end of the game. The game, though, carried on, and a more serious blow was struck for Steep when Seddon skied a catch almost immediately. After that Quantrill played positively, but runs were slower to come at the other end. The run rate required slipped inexorably upwards, despite the occasional flurry of boundaries, ad the wickets also gradually fell. Quantrill reached his hundred with successive sixes to keep the target around ten an over, and for a few more overs was getting the runs, but the increasingly desperate shots were bringing more chances now. He had been joined by Laurie Goldsmith who got off the mark with a pulled six, and perhaps if they had stayed together it might still have been possible for the runs to be made, but after a straight drive for six an attempted repeat was less well timed and went high in the air and into the safe hands of Colin Baty, Quantrill out for 141. Goldsmith kept the runs flowing, ably abetted by Jack Norman at the end, and Stoner ended with a very respectable score and although the Wicksteed Trophy was lost, it was lost by a much narrower margin than had seemed likely for much of the game.

So after a brief sojourn in the Harrow for some it was back to Bedales for the Function, nominally a (six months) late celebration of the President's 90th birthday. Whatever the excuse it was a fabulous evening, with Connor the Hog being replaced by Larry the Lamb this year, along with the usual array of salads, bread, strawberries and raspberries with cream and, of course, the annual biscuits and cheese courtesy of Mr. Russell, our provisional vice-president. As ever the conversation flowed even more freely than the wine, speeches were heckled and as the diners drifted off into the night the hard core ended up around the bonfire, with Alastair Britten failing to fall in the bonfire for the second year in a row. After the occasional bad feeling of the afternoon's game this was a reminder of what Stoner, and life, should be like, and again thanks are due in abundance to all those who helped to organise such a great evening. Assuming that some sort of excuse can be found for an event next year - which seems highly likely - all those who didn't make it are strongly urged to alter their plans for next season and get themselves along if they possibly can.

Stoner v Carpe Diem

Thursday July 22nd, 2010

Carpe Diem 250-4 dec. (32.5 overs)
Stoner 225 all out (44 overs)
Stoner lost by 25 runs

Before I start the report I am under instructions to send a welcome to our overseas readers – A Hello Ben! from your mother, and a mention of your lovely curly hair from your brother.

The mop up following the event turned up to be as literal as metaphorical. The dirty plates and so forth seemed to vanish as magically as the fabulous meal had appeared the night before, no doubt with the help of the Roberts family house elves. (This is a Harry Potter reference, for the assistance of those senior members who are not down with the kids.) However a short burst of rain turned very heavy and left the entire field temporarily covered in puddles. Though it had finished by 10.15 even on a very dry field the wicket was still very damp by the start time for the match. For the first time this week Stoner, in the shape of captain for the day Matthew Quantrill, won the toss, but given the conditions they had little choice but to choose to field first for the fourth day in a row. Carpe Diem had been struggling as much as Stoner to raise a side, and had contacted Petersfield Cricket Club for local assistance. Amongst the four they had recruited were two who were supposedly opening bowlers, so they opened the batting. As for so much of the week Stoner's bowlers were flayed by opening batsmen, and although they looked a little uncertain in the first two overs within no time both batsmen had made half centuries. Ben Seddon was hit out of the attack early, and although Jack Norman did a little better he too was unsuccessful. Paul Bradley was first change, and perhaps the best of the bowlers. He made the first breakthrough, taking a caught and bowled when Jack Hannam hit one almost straight up, but couldn't get another. Gordon Dale got some control with his slow spin, but one ball an over tended to get away from him. Eventually it was the second change bowlers who picked up wickets, with Dale Collins getting the second wicket, bowling the other opener, Blanks, for 87 and then Matthew Quantrill getting a stumping by Magan Singolia and finally Collins bowling the number 5 to bring about the declaration at about 4.30, with the score on 250-4.

It was two of the west country contingent who opened the bowling for Carpe Diem, to great effect. After a fine cut for 4 from his first ball Bradley Lonergan spooned one to point, Laurie Goldsmith was disappointingly bowled second ball, just as the spectators were commenting on what a classy batsman he still was, and Magan Singolia touched one down the leg side to the keeper. At 7-3 250 looked a long way off. For a short while Ben Seddon and Chris Bartram looked comfortable enough, but just as there was hope they would build a platform for a full blown recovery Ben Seddon mistimed a pull and was caught and bowled and Bartram gloved one to slip. Jack Norman also fell 5 runs later, and it was 36-6, still 214 runs behind. With humiliation staring them in the face Stoner were setting themselves a target of beating the Australian test team's 88 all out the previous day, and the next partnership nearly took them to that target. Steep's Dale Collins made up for his duck on Monday with a series of clean blows while another guest, Matt Bushe, doggedly held up the other end. Collins had been on 4 when the partnership began, but by the time he top edged one in the air and was caught by the keeper he had just brought up his fifty with a six, and had made 48 of a partnership of 51, the other three being extras. Collins's 52 contained three 6s and eight 4s off just 33 balls, with just two runs actually run and some respect had now been regained. Coming in at number 9 was the man in form, Matthew Quantrill. He was quickly off the mark, and shortly afterwards Bushe joined in the scoring with a pulled four on his 36th ball. From there on Quantrill scored fairly freely off all the bowlers and while Bushe was more circumspect he picked up a few runs as well. Together they saw off all the change bowlers, some with figures more reminiscent of a Stoner bowler, and forced Carpe Diem to turn to their opening bowlers and indeed to the opening batsmen who had not been expected to bowl at all. From needing more than 160 just before the start of the 20 overs Stoner now needed around 7 an over and were getting them, and even the new bowlers weren't able to significantly slow the rate at first. When the partnership had added 90 for the 8th wicket Bushe was finally beaten, bowled for 19 from 74 balls, the longest Stoner innings. Stoner were now 74 runs short of victory, but still with 11 overs remaining, and despite the full out assault now being launched by all Carpe Diem's top bowlers the next 22 were added in less than three overs, with Quantrill continuing to score rapidly and Paul Bradley making 10 from just 5 balls with some fine blows down the ground, before he edged one behind. Still Stoner weren't finished, as Gordon Dale managed to nudge the ball around and push his injured knee for a few relatively quick runs, even managing to run a three to the cover boundary. He had some remarkable luck at one stage, spooning up the easiest of catches early on only for the young fielder running in to drop the simplest of chances, much to the merriment of his team mates, and an act which fully qualified him to play for Stoner on Friday, filling in for the many injury drop outs. Later Dale lifted another relatively easy one in the air, only to be dropped by the bowler running in. The run rate was beginning to get away from Stoner a little, but with the promise of Carpe Diem captain Rob Newmarch that he would bowl the final over anything less than 30 was likely to be gettable, and so it was something of a disappointment when with 26 needed from 13 balls Dale got a thin edge and the keeper made no mistake. Quantrill was left on 89 not out, which must be a contender for highest score by a Stoner no.9, and scored from (according to the scorebook) a mere 59 balls. Having faced humiliation at 36-6 Stoner had done more than enough to restore respect – they had made their opponents take the game very seriously and put them in fear of losing – though at the end of the day it has to be admitted it was a 4th consecutive defeat. The bright point of the day was that most of the best performers on both sides are playing for Stoner on the final day of the week, so perhaps there is a chance of ending that sorry run.

Stoner v Ropley

Friday July 23rd, 2010

Ropley 200-8 dec. (43.1 overs)
Stoner 202-6 (29 overs)
Stoner won by 4 wickets

The 2010 AGM took place in the morning, and was well attended, providing the usual entertainment. Fully detailed minutes will be available in due course, but the prime concern was the need to get younger old boys actively engaged with the club and a number of strategies were discussed and will hopefully be carried forward during the year. The awards were also decided, and although they were presented at tea time they will be recounted here. There was a slight lack of Champagne moments, and perhaps more surprisingly of Low Alcohol Lager moments, and those that were possibles were rejected for diplomatic reasons. The meeting therefore adopted a policy of deciding who they would like to win the awards and then devising a reason for them to win it. On the basis that he could be easily bullied into allowing the Senior Vice-Presidents to drink the champagne for lunch Sam Roberts was chosen as the Champagne Moment winner, the citation being for his magnificent piece of fielding (while not actually playing) when he ran and picked up a ball one handed, all while holding a pint of beer and not spilling a drop. Connor "The Destroyer" Wilkinson was chosen as the winner of the Low Alcohol Lager moment, and after some debate it was decided that the citation should be for his dress sense at the AGM, despite his protests that there were many amongst the assembled members who could put up a strong contest on that front. There was much greater competition for the remaining awards. The minor niggles that usually get debated in discussions of the Laurie Goldsmith Memorial Band-Aid Award didn't get a mention, even the award's founder and perennial winner couldn't get into contention with the groin strain that had caused him to hobble about for some of the week. In the end it came down to a heavyweight contest between Matt Evans, whose knee surgery had kept him out of the whole week, and Justin Jones. Jones was declared the winner on the basis of the spectaularness of his collapse on the boundary and exit from the week, and because this injury had caused him to miss his first game in 17 years. Given that he was unavailable to collect the award Laurie Goldsmith generously volunteered to step in and collect it on his behalf. The Duck Cup was also hotly contetsed, with those with single unexceptional ducks such as Jack Norman and Laurie Goldsmith barely rating a footnote to the discussions. There were three main contenders, and in approximately reverse order they were Gordon Dale for being run out without facing a ball and Steep CC for their contributions on Monday against Barnes. The winner, by general acclaim, was however the Hutt Family for a selection of ducks but primarily for both father and son being out first ball in consecutive balls, giving Mr. Ryan of Chris Vincent's XI a hat trick that is already being referred to as the Hutt Trick.

So to the match itself. Although the pitch was still soft from the previous day's rain Laurie Goldsmith was determined that Stoner should bat first on at least one day of the week, but he lost the toss and was deprived of his chance to do that. Olly Green, captaining Ropley, had heard of Stoner's previous efforts in the week, and had no hesitation in batting first. However making up for his loss of the toss Goldsmith now produced the moment of tactical genius that Stoner has been lacking all week, opening the bowling with Jack Hannam at one end and Connor "The Destroyer" Wilkinson at the other. Wilkinson's first over lured the batsmen into a false sense of security as they smashed him round the ground for 13 runs, but in his next the second ball was steered straight to the covers. The new batsman saw his first ball lobbed up enticingly outside off stump and hit it gently in the air to Laurie Goldsmith. There was much excitement at the prospect of Champagne being ripped from the hands of Sam Roberts if Wilkinson had taken a hat trick, but the ball was survived, and a single glanced down the leg side. The final ball was a little short on middle and leg, and the batsman had time to eye up the inviting gap at mid-wicket before inexplicably trying to play inside out and lofting the ball gently into the crowded off side field. 18-3, and Wilkinson had the top three. Soon afterwards he had 4 as the number 5 batsman showed a desperate urge to swing wildly at everything and missed a slow ball on middle stump, swishing his bat through far to0 early. With Hannam producing a superb ball to bowl the number 6 Ropley were reduced to 31-5. Cometh the hour, though, cometh Olly Green. He saw off the openers, and with Martin Peters at the other end they rebuilt the Ropley innings. Stoner had a couple of chances to catch Peters, one a very hard chance that Sam Roberts couldn't quite hold (he would have legitimately earned the champagne if he had) and the other a silly one where Peters chased a wide ball from Sam Roberts that turned further away and managed to edge to slip where The Destroyer put it down. Green was also dropped at slip by the same man, and together he and Peters put on about 140 for the 6th wicket. Stoner tried a selection of bowlers, the best of whom may have been Dylan Pearson who bowled accurate and gentle swing to conceded just 8 runs in 4 overs, and bowl a maiden - somethng of a rarity for Stoner this week. In the end it was a run out that brought the breakthrough as the batsmen tried to push the rate along, but although Green was out for 34 he wasn't going to let Stoner off the hook, batting on till just after 5 in order to bring up 200. Peters ended up with approximately 118 not out (the score book was a little untidy to say the least) and even Laurie Goldsmith giving himself an over and taking a wicket couldn't force a declaration. The Destroyer returned to try and get his fifth wicket, but instead was driven for 4 to bring up exactly 200 and the dcelaration, leaving him with figures of 4-43.

After a tea prolonged by the award presentations Stoner were faced with less than an hour plus twenty overs to get the runs, and although Ropley did well to get 15 overs in before the twenty that still left them needing nearly six an over throughout their innings. Ropley celebrated the retirement of test cricket's leading wicket taker by having an opening bowler who paid homage to his action, though at a quicker pace, but Stoner openers Dale Collins and Sam Roberts were completely unfazed, setting off at a brisk pace. Collins was bowled for 11, but Dylan Pearson kept Roberts company and both got into the thirties. Stoner seemed to be cruising until Roberts surprisingly hit a ball in the air and was caught for 37, but he was replaced by the skipper, Laurie Goldsmith, who immediately showed sparkling form and kept the rate going easily. Six an over was being scored comfortably and as the 20 overs began the rate was steadily increased. Pearson had little of the strike, but kept going steadily before being bowled for 31, and shortly afterwards Goldsmith brought up his fifty before he too was out for 54. Less than 5 an over were needed now and the Petersfield duo of Sam Blanks and Jack Hannam quickly ensured that would not be a problem by adding 40 in three overs. There was a lot of aggressive running in that partnership, which eventually brought their downfall with Blanks run out, and immediately afterwards Hannam was LBW, but by now just 5 were needed and Paul Bradley knocked them off quickly to ensure that Stoner managed to finish the week with at least one victory and also that the only score of the week that was below 200 was the 184 Stoner had made on Tuesday. A good end to a week that had been difficult in the field on occasions, but which was highly successful in batting terms and off the field with yet another memorable function. New blood is needed, but hopefully can be found and the week can carry on being as enjoyable as it was this year.